Close to Porta Picena there is the Ospedale dei Pellegrini, of the end of the 12th century, where foreigners passing through San Ginesio were lodged. The main square is dominated by a statue of Alberico Gentili, a famous jurist born in San Ginesio in 1552. The Collegiata (1098) has a very interesting façade: the lower part dates back to the Romanesque building upon which it was later built, while the upper part, with fine decorations, is the only example of Flamboyant Gothic in the Marche region.
The interior, with three naves, presents works of art by Simone De Magistris (1543-1610), by Stefano Folchetti (15th-16th century), by Pomarancio (1552-1626) and by artists Perugino’s school. In the crypt there are frescoes depicting episodes from the life of Saint Blaise that were partially painted by Lorenzo Salimbeni (1406) from San Severino Marche.
In the same square there is the theatre Giacomo Leopardi, dated 1873, which can accommodate 200 people. Other important buildings are the church of San Francesco with a beautiful portal of the year 1240 and frescoes by artists of the schools of Fabriano and Rimini (the convent of San Francesco has become the Town Hall); the complex of the Santi Tommaso e Barnaba of 1365 and the church which is today an auditorium, and the convent of the Agostiniani which houses one of the oldest organs in Europe.
The Civic Museum “Scipione Gentili” has a rich collection of Etruscan and Picene findings unearthed in the nearby surroundings and many remarkable works of art including two wood panels by Stefano Folchetti and the Matrimonio mistico di Santa Caterina attributed to Ghirlandaio (late 15th century). The altarpiece Pala di Sant’Andrea (15th century) represents an important moment in the history of San Ginesio: the battle between San Ginesio and the town of Fermo.
The modern section of the museum, housed in the Town Hall, is a collection of many works of art by contemporary artists such as Servolini, Bartolini, Ciarrocchi, Mainini e Luchetti. On the road to Sarnano, it is possible to visit the Abbey delle Macchie, probably of the 11th century, with a crypt that was built with materials from the Roman town of Urbs Salvia.
Do not miss
San Ginesio is called “Balcone di Sibillini” [“Sibillini Mountain’s balcony”] because from the highest points of the old town centre it is possible to admire a breathtaking view from Monte Conéro to the Sibillini Mountains.